Jugaad Culture Amidst COVID-19: A Time to Step Up for Innovation in Low-Income Countries.
More than four months have already elapsed after the world first encountered Coronavirus claimed to originate from Wuhan, China. Scientifically, termed sudden acute respiratory syndrome corona virus (SARS-CoV-2), that causes Coronavirus disease of 2019 (COVID-19), this deadly pathogen has already claimed about 2.83 lakhs casualties with four million infected and 1.5 million recovered as of 11 May 2020. Different preventive measures like hand washing, social distancing, nation-wide lock down from March 23 have been practised in
Nepal which has definitely dwindled the number of positive cases. they have helped flatten the curve and procure time for preparation for forthcoming disaster. Total documented positive cases have been 120 till date (11 May 2020) with zero mortality in Nepal. However, the scenario might be out of control in coming days where claims of inadequate testing due to lack of diagnostic kits have been a major issue. Whatever be the outcome in upcoming days, for an economically poor country like Nepal, preparation seems satisfactory despite challenges to outsourcing the necessary kits like Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and diagnostic Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) machines etc.
COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. Available from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ ( Accessed on 11 May 2020)
Kshetry R. Nepal’s community hand washing campaign pays off in times of COVID 19 crises.
https://www.wsscc.org/2020/04/03/nepalscommunity-handwashing-campaign-pays-offin-times-of-covid-19-crisis/ ( Accessed on 11 May 2020)
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak updates & resource materials. Available from:
https://heoc.mohp.gov.np/update-on-novelcorona-virus-covid-19/ ( Accessed on 11 May 2020)
Livingston E, Desai A, Berkwits M. Sourcing Personal Protective Equipment During the COVID-19 Pandemic. JAMA. 2020;323(19):1912–1914. DOI: 10.1001/jama.2020.5317.
Kim SI, Lee JY. Walk-Through Screening Center for COVID-19: An Accessible and Efficient Screening System in a Pandemic Situation. J Korean Med Sci. 2020;35(15):e154. PMID: 32301300 DOI: 10.3346/jkms.2020.35.e154
Neupane A. Nepal has just 1 ventilator for 1,14,000 people https://myrepublica.nagariknetwork.com/news/nepal-has-just-oneventilator-for-114-000-people/ ( Accessed on 11 May 2020)
Gurung K. In Nepal, a device to protect corona patients from risk has been developed. Available from: https://swasthyakhabar.com/story/32138. (Accessed on 11 May 2020)
Robots on the rise amid COVID-19 pandemic: How is Paaila technology contributing. Available from: https://ictframe.com/robots-on-therise-amid-covid-19-pandemic-how-is-paailatechnology-contributing/ (Accessed on 11 May 2020)
Nepal Covid-19 surveillance system and selfassessment app. Available from: https://www.nren.net.np/nepal-covid-19-surveillancesystem-and-self-assessment-app/ (Accessed on 11 May 2020)
Copyright (c) 2020 Suman Baral
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- The Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) publishes open access articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- JLMC requires an exclusive licence to publish the article first in its journal in print and online.
- The corresponding author should read and agree to the following statement before submission of the manuscript for publication,
- License agreement
- In submitting an article to Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JLMC are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, I/we will notify JLMC at the time of submission, and in such cases the article shall be released under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1 and 2 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail regardless of whether the article is published under Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 or the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in JLMC, data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.
Please visit Creative Commons web page for details of the terms.