Need for Prioritizing Health: An Old War-Cry Reiterated By COVID-19
The poor state of health care in Nepal will be burdened further following the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. The government failed in timely stockpiling of medical supplies and equipment, development of health infrastructure, including laboratories and quarantine centres, restriction and screening of international travel and information dissemination to the general public. While efforts have now been made to increase the capacity for diagnostic test for SARS-CoV-2, the government still needs to further increase the availability and accessibility throughout the country. This would be the first step in fighting the pandemic. However, it is also important to prepare for the worst case. Similarly, advocacy programs should be developed to inform the general public and alleviate their fears about the disease. These measures would not only help Nepal’s capability to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak but could lay the foundations to improve the health of the citizens in general, even after this epidemic is controlled and could go a long way in developing trust of the government in the populace.
World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report -108. WHO: Geneva; 7 May 2020. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200507covid-19-sitrep-108.pdf?sfvrsn=44cc8ed8_2
The World Bank. GDP per capita (current US$)- Nepal. https://tinyurl.com/yd5vbb4l
FMoHP and NHSSP (2018). Budget Analysis of Ministry of Health and PopulationFY 2018/19. Federal Ministry of Health and Population and Nepal Health Sector Support Programme. https://www.nhssp.org.np/Resources/PPFM/Budget_Analysis_of_Nepal_Federal_
Statement on the second meeting of the International Health Regulations (2005) Emergency Committee regarding the outbreak of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). World Health Organization: Geneva; 30 Jan 2020. https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/30-01-2020-statement-on-the-second-meeting-of-the-international-health-regulations-(2005)-emergency-committee-regarding-the-outbreak-of-novel-coronavirus-(2019-ncov)
WHO Director-General’s opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19. World Health Organization: Geneva; 11 Mar 2020. https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---11-march-2020
Situation Update- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). World Health Organization: Nepal (country office); 20 Apr 2020. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/nepal-documents/novel-coronavirus/who-nepal-sitrep/who-nepal--sitrep-covid-19-20apr2020.pdf?sfvrsn=c788bf96_2
Poudel A. Nepalis rush to buy face masks amidst coronavirus outbreak but there are none available. The Kathmandu Post: 3 Feb 2020. https://tkpo.st/2Oo2c4x
Poudel KR. Nepali markets face shortage of mask after coronavirus outbreak in China. Rising Nepal: 6 Feb 2020. https://tinyurl.com/y8a6emaq
Govt to sell 1.2 million confiscated masks. The Himalayan Times; 17 Mar 2020. https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/govt-to-sell-1-2-million-confiscated-masks/
Bastola A, Sah R, Rodriguez-Morales AJ et al. The first 2019 novel coronavirus case in Nepal. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020;20(3):279–280. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30067-0 PMCID: PMC7130048
Sapkota S. Financial irregularities suspected in procurement of medical equipment from China. Republica Nepal; 29 Mar 2020. http://tiny.cc/uueqoz
Nepal scraps medical supply deal of Chinese company. Deccan Herald; 2 Apr 2020. http://tiny.cc/i0eqoz
Sapkota R. Why rapid tests are doing more harm than good. Nepali times; 17 Apr 2020. http://tiny.cc/f5eqoz
Efficacy of rapid corona tests questioned as 16 test positive after negative RDT. Himalayan Times; 25 April 2020. https://wp.me/p6iC0n-2LZp
Sapkota R. Nepal to test COVID-19 test kits from China. Nepali Times; 1 Apr 2020. https://www.nepalitimes.com/latest/nepal-to-test-covid-19-test-kits-from-china/
Dhakal S. Nepal ill-prepared for coronavirus outbreak. Himalayan Times; 26 Feb 2020. https://wp.me/p6iC0n-2IBv
Editorial-Inadequate testing. Himalayan Times; 23 Mar 2020. https://thehimalayantimes.com/opinion/editorial-inadequate-testing/
COVID-19 sample test also begins from Dharan today. Rising Nepal; 28 Mar 2020. https://shorturl.at/dgDU8
COVID-19 test to begin in Dhulikhel today. Rising Nepal; 5 Apr 2020. https://shorturl.at/gmnw2
COVID-19 testing starts at Bir Hospital. Republica Nepal: 12 Apr 2020. http://tiny.cc/l6eqoz
What after they land in Nepal? Republica Nepal: 16 Feb 2020. https://myrepublica.nagariknetwork.com/news/what-after-they-land-in-nepal/
Poudel A. Poor quarantine facilities could themselves become outbreak hotspots, doctors warn. The Kathmandu Post: 6 Apr 2020. https://tkpo.st/34bYH7K
Prasain S, Shrestha PM. Suspension of climbing permits and on-arrival visas entails losses of thousands of jobs and millions of dollars. The Kathmandu Post: 14 Mar 2020. http://bit.ly/38VedpC
Pradhan TR. Government to close down border with India and China for a week. The Kathmandu Post: 22 Mar 2020. https://tkpo.st/33CV1LZ
Pradhan TR. Oli announces suspension of all flights, all long-haul transport and all non-essential services. The Kathmandu Post: 20 Mar 2020. https://tkpo.st/2U8o7Qp
Pradhan TR. Nepal goes under lockdown for a week starting 6am Tuesday. The Kathmandu Post: 23 Mar 2020. https://tkpo.st/2WCfoHW
Sedhai R. Mass exodus amid corona fears. The record: 23 Mar 2020. https://www.recordnepal.com/wire/features/mass-exodus-amid-corona-fears/
Poudel A. Fourth Nepali tests positive for Covid-19. The Kathmandu Post: 27 Mar 2020. https://tkpo.st/2UE7iM9
World Health Organization. WHO advice for international travel and trade in relation to the outbreak of pneumonia caused by a new coronavirus in China. WHO: 10 Jan 2020. https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/who-advice-for-international-travel-and-trade-in-relation-to-the-outbreak-of-pneumonia-caused-by-a-new-coronavirus-in-china
World Health Organization. Updated WHO advice for international traffic in relation to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV. WHO: 24 Jan 2020. https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/updated-who-advice-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-the-outbreak-of-the-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-24-jan/
Lamsal R. Inadequate preparations put Nepal at high risk from coronavirus. Khabarhub: 1 Mar 2020. https://english.khabarhub.com/2020/01/78762
TIA enhances health screening for COVID-19. The Himalayan Times: 2 Mar 2020. https://wp.me/p6iC0n-2ISy
Dhakal S. Nepal lacks preparation as WHO declares global emergency. The Himalayan Times: 1 Feb 2020. https://wp.me/p6iC0n-2HfU
Poudel A. Concerns over quarantine centre in Bhaktapur stem from lack of trust in government. The Kathmandu Post: 14 Feb 2020. https://tkpo.st/31SpYef
Murthy S, Leligdowicz A, Adhikari NK. Intensive care unit capacity in low-income countries: a systematic review. PLoS One. 2015;10(1):e0116949. PMID: 25617837 PMCID: PMC4305307 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0116949
Covid-19 Nepal: Preparedness and Response Plan (NPRP). United Nations Nepal: April 2020. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/nepal-documents/novel-coronavirus/covid-19- nepal-preparedness-and-response-plan-(nprp)- draft-april-9.pdf
Kestler-D’Amours J. Coronavirus: Overwhelmed US funeral homes turn families away. AlJazeera: 7 Apr 2020. https://aje.io/yr2sh
Wang C, Horby PW, Hayden FG, Gao GF. A novel coronavirus outbreak of global health concern. Lancet. 2020;395(10223):470-473. PMCID: PMC7135038 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30185-9
Copyright (c) 2020 Rijen Shrestha, Samata Nepal, Alok Atreya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- The Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) publishes open access articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- JLMC requires an exclusive licence to publish the article first in its journal in print and online.
- The corresponding author should read and agree to the following statement before submission of the manuscript for publication,
- License agreement
- In submitting an article to Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JLMC are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, I/we will notify JLMC at the time of submission, and in such cases the article shall be released under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1 and 2 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail regardless of whether the article is published under Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 or the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in JLMC, data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.
Please visit Creative Commons web page for details of the terms.