India Amidst COVID-19 Crisis: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Beating the statistics: With a population of over a billion, high population density with overcrowding especially in metropolis and underdeveloped health infrastructure, the projections for corona virus disease (COVID-19) pandemic were not in favour of India. Most statistical models had predicted over 5 lakh cases and more than 38,000 deaths and warned that India must prepare for a tsunami of COVID-19 cases. The situation appeared to be grimmer given that the incidence of diabetes, hypertension and respiratory diseases due to tuberculosis and
air pollution is higher amongst Indians which are known risk factors for severe disease and death due to COVID-19.
Sharma R. Projection: 38,220 deaths, 5.35 lakh COVID-19 cases in India by mid-May. The New Indian Express. 2020 Apr 23. Available from: https://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/2020/apr/23/projection-38220-deaths-535-lakh-covid-19-cases-in-india-by-mid-may-2134087.html
Chotiner I. How COVID-19 Will Hit India. The New Yorker. 2020 Apr 1. Available from: https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/how-covid-19-will-hit-india
Ganguly S. India must prepare for a tsunami of coronavirus cases. BBC News. 2020 Mar 19. Available from: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-india-51962813/india-must-prepare-for-a-tsunami-of-coronavirus-cases
Biswas S. India coronavirus: The ‘mystery’ of low Covid-19 death rates. BBC News. 2020 Apr 28. Available from: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52435463
Khullar A. Why India shouldn’t mimic the West in the fight against coronavirus. Quartz India. 2020 Apr 26. Available from: https://qz.com/india/1843604/india-shouldnt-mimic-the-us-or-europe-in-its-coronavirus-fight/
PTI. India ramps up production of COVID-19 protective gears, medical equipment. The Week. 2020 May 1. Available from: https://www.theweek.in/news/india/2020/05/01/india-ramps-up-production-of-covid-19-protective-gears-medical-equipment.html
Dadhich A. The COVID-19 pandemic and the Indian pharmaceutical industry. European Pharmaceutical Review. 2020 Apr 22. Available from: https://www.europeanpharmaceuticalreview.com/article/117413/the-covid-19-pandemic-and-the-indian-pharmaceutical-industry/
Kashyap R. Mother Earth is Rebooting. Times of India. 2020 Apr 25. Available from: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/readersblog/spice-in-life/mother-earth-is-rebooting-14169/
Reddy KS. India’s high number of asymptomatic cases worrying, and herd immunity is far off. The Print. 2020 Apr 24. Available from: https://theprint.in/opinion/indias-high-number-of-asymptomatic-cases-worrying-and-herd-immunity-is-far-off/407931/
Thacker T. No symptoms in 80% of Covid cases raise concerns. The Economic Times. 2020 Apr 21. Available from: http://www.ecoti.in/OYEIkY60
Alexander S, Devulapalli S. Everything you wanted to know about India’s test numbers, in five charts. Live Mint. 2020 May 10. Available from: https://www.livemint.com/news/india/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-india-s-test-numbers-in-five-charts-11588956200820.html
Web Desk. How does Modi’s COVID-19 package compare to spending by other countries? The Week [Internet]. 2020 May 12. Available from: https://www.theweek.in/news/biz-tech/2020/05/12/how-does-modis-economic-package-compare-to-spending-by-other-countries.html
Banerjee P. Covid misinformation curve shows no signs of flattening. Live Mint. 2020 Apr 27. Available from: https://www.livemint.com/news/india/covid-19-misinformation-curve-shows-no-signs-of-flattening-11587888207849.html
Kant A. The infodemic on social media around Covid calls for a multi-pronged approach. The Indian Express. 2020 May 11. Available from: https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/coronavirus-fake-news-social-media-infodemic-6403577/
Sabarwal H. 548 doctors, nurses, paramedics infected with Covid-19 across India: Report. Hindustan Times. 2020 May 6. Available from: https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/548-docs-nurses-paramedics-infected-with-covid-19-across-india-report/story-o2pM3w2adM4g3PXI6TBlkN.html
Pandey V. Coronavirus: India’s race against time to save doctors. BBS News. (2020 Apr 13. Available from: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52215071
Pandey V. Coronavirus: India doctors ‘spat at and attacked’. BBC News. 2020 Apr 3. Available from: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52151141
Ellis-Petersen H. Mobs stop Indian doctors’ burials: ‘Covid-19 took his life, why take his dignity?’ The Guardian. 2020 Apr 29. Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/29/mobs-stop-indian-doctors-burials-covid-19
ET Bureau. Cabinet okays ordinance to protect frontline workers. Economic Times. 2020 Apr 22. Available from: http://www.ecoti.in/8IVJEZ
Copyright (c) 2020 Sanjay Singh Negi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- The Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) publishes open access articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- JLMC requires an exclusive licence to publish the article first in its journal in print and online.
- The corresponding author should read and agree to the following statement before submission of the manuscript for publication,
- License agreement
- In submitting an article to Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JLMC are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, I/we will notify JLMC at the time of submission, and in such cases the article shall be released under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1 and 2 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail regardless of whether the article is published under Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 or the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in JLMC, data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.
Please visit Creative Commons web page for details of the terms.