Vascular Surgery in COVID-19 Period and Beyond: Acknowledging the New Normal
The first infected case of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARSCoV-2) in Nepal was diagnosed on 23 January, 2020 which was also the first recorded case in South Asia, but after confirmation of subsequent cases on March 23 and 24, the entire nation was put under lock down. Between January and March, the government took preventive measures by upgrading health infrastructure, setting up health desks at
important public spaces like airports, spreading public awareness through various means, sealing off of international borders. Initially, our optimism stemmed from the slow rise in cases compared to our neighbors which delivered hope that things will be back on track soon. But with consistently escalating infection rates it was clear that we are as vulnerable to this as any other nation. For us, it reflected in thinning out of emergency and urgent cases. This was sure to have a significant impact on patients’ lives. On one hand, owing to confinement measures, to avail specialty services was becoming a challenge for them, especially those from remote, rural areas where transportation even if desired is accessible on select occasions. On the other, phobia
of coronavirus led patients to defer going to distant tertiary hospital as far as possible.
Jha J. Lockdown to combat coronavirus: A necessary measure Nepal 2020 [updated 25 March 2020]. Available from: http://english.lokaantar.com/articles/lockdown-combatcoronavirus-necessary-measure/.
Adhikari D. Nepal seals borders with China, India amid virus fears. Anadolu Agency. 2020 Mar 22. Available from: https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/nepal-seals-borders-with-chinaindia-amid-virus-fears/1775205#.
Karki B. Nepal Takes Steps to Prepare for COVID-19. The Diplomat. 2020 Mar 9. Available from: https://thediplomat.com/2020/03/nepaltakes-steps-to-prepare-for-covid-19/.
World Health Organization. Advice on the use of point-of-care immunodiagnostic tests for COVID-19 2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/advice-on-the-use-of-point-of-careimmunodiagnostic-tests-for-covid-19.
Okba NMA, Muller MA, Li W, Wang C, GeurtsvanKessel CH, Corman VM, et al. Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2-Specific Antibody Responses in Coronavirus Disease 2019 Patients. Emerg Infect Dis.
;26(7) [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 32267220 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3201/eid2607.200841
Liu Y, Liu Y, Diao B, Ren F, Wang Y, Ding J, et al. Diagnostic Indexes of a Rapid IgG/IgM Combined Antibody Test for SARS-CoV-2.medRxiv. 2020;[preprint]. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.03.26.20044883
Whitman M. Internet Access On Everest Base Camp Trek 2019. Available from: https://ebctrekguide.com/internet-access-everest-basecamp-trek.
Copyright (c) 2020 Krishna Bashyal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- The Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) publishes open access articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- JLMC requires an exclusive licence to publish the article first in its journal in print and online.
- The corresponding author should read and agree to the following statement before submission of the manuscript for publication,
- License agreement
- In submitting an article to Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JLMC are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, I/we will notify JLMC at the time of submission, and in such cases the article shall be released under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1 and 2 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail regardless of whether the article is published under Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 or the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in JLMC, data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.
Please visit Creative Commons web page for details of the terms.