Dermatological Aspects of COVID-19
On 31 December 2019, Wuhan, the capital city of Hubei Province in China reported World Health Organization(WHO) about cases of pneumonia which were caused by a severe acute respiratory
syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) currently designated coronavirus disease (COVID-19). The infection rapidly spread throughout the world escalating the situation and WHO eventually declared COVID-19 as a global pandemic on 11 March 2020. It has already affected almost all aspects of health and society globally. With the current pandemic, dermatologists should be aware of dermatological aspects of SARS-CoV-2, its skin manifestations and general skin care.
World Health Organization. Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it [Internet]. WHO: Geneva; 2020 [cited 2020 June 2] Available from: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it
Phelan AL, Katz R, Gostin LO. The Novel Coronavirus Originating in Wuhan, China: Challenges for Global Health Governance. JAMA. 2020;323(8):709-10. PMID: 31999307. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.1097
World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Situation Report. WHO: Geneva; 2020. Situation report No.: 51. [cited 2020 May 25] Available from: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200311-sitrep-51-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=1ba62e57_10
Recalcati S. Cutaneous manifestations in COVID‐19: a first perspective. Journal of The European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2020;34(5):e212-e213. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.16387
Casas CG, Català A, Hernández GC, Rodríguez- Jiménez P, Nieto DF, Lario AR, et al. Classification of the cutaneous manifestations of COVID-19: a rapid prospective nationwide consensus study in Spain with 375 cases. British Journal of Dermatology. Forthcoming 2020. Available from: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/bjd.19163
Sachdeva M, Gianotti R, Shah M, Lucia B, Tosi D, Veraldi S, et al. Cutaneous manifestations of COVID-19: Report of three cases and a review of literature. J Dermatol Sci. 2020;S0923- 1811(20)30149-3. PMID: 32381430. PMCID: PMC7189855. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdermsci.2020.04.011
Joob B, Wiwanitkit V. COVID-19 can present with a rash and be mistaken for dengue. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020;82(5):e177. PMID: 32213305. PMCID: PMC156802. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2020.03.036
Morand A, Urbina, D, Fabre A. COVID-19 and Kawasaki Like Disease: The Known-Known, the Unknown-Known and the Unknown- Unknown. Preprints. Forthcoming 2020. Available from: https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202005.0160/v1
Rademaker M, Baker C, Foley P, Sullivan J, Wang C. Advice regarding COVID-19 and use of immunomodulators, in patients with severe dermatological diseases. Australas J Dermatol. 2020;61(2):158-59. PMID: 32219857. PMCID: PMC7228260. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ajd.13295
American Academy of Dermatology. Guidance on the use of immunosuppressive agents [Internet]. United States: American Academy of Dermatology; 2020 [cited 2020 April 14]. Available from: www.aad.org/member/practice/coronavirus/clinical-guidance/biologics
British Association of Dermatologist. Dermatology Advice Regarding Self-Isolation and Immunosuppressed Patients: Adults, Paediatrics and Young People [Internet]. London: British Association of Dermatologists; 2020 [cited 2020 may 25]. Available from: https://www.bad.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/covid-19/covid-19-%20immunosuppressed-patients.
Consensus/Policy of SODVELON on current COVID-19 crisis [Internet] 1st published 15th April 2020. Nepal: Society Of Dermatologists Venereologist and Leprologists, 2020 [cited 2020 June 9] Available from: https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=http://sodvelon.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/covid-19-SODVELON-statement-for-Dermatological-and-cosmetic-practice-final.pdf
Chan JF, Yuan S, Kok KH, To KK, Chu H, Yang J, et al. A familial cluster of pneumonia associated with the 2019 novel coronavirus indicating person-to-person transmission: A study of a family cluster. Lancet. 2020;395(10223):514-23. PMID: 31986261. PMCID: PMC7159286. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(20)30154-9.T
Toncic RJ, Jakasa I, Hadzavdic SL, Goorden SM, Vlugt KJG, Stet FS, et al. Altered Levels of Sphingosine, Sphinganine and Their Ceramides in Atopic Dermatitis Are Related to Skin Barrier Function, Disease Severity and Local Cytokine Milieu. Int J Mol Sci. 2020;21(6):1958. PMID: 32183011. PMCID: PMC7139865. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21061958
Pei S, Xue Y, Zhao S, Alexander N, Mohamad G, Chen X, et al. Occupational skin conditions on the frontline: A survey among 484 Chinese healthcare professionals caring for Covid-19 patients. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 32362062. PMCID: PMC7267162. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.16570
Lan J, Song Z, Miao X, Li H, Li Y, Dong L, et al. Skin damage among health care workers managing coronavirus disease-2019. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020;82(5):1215-16. PMID: 32171808. PMCID: PMC7194538. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2020.03.014
Jagadeesan S, Sarkar R. COVID-19 and the dermatologist: finding calm in the chaos. Pigment Int. 2020; [Epub ahead of print]. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/Pigmentinternational.Pigmentinternational_24_20
Copyright (c) 2020 Alina Sharma
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- The Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) publishes open access articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- JLMC requires an exclusive licence to publish the article first in its journal in print and online.
- The corresponding author should read and agree to the following statement before submission of the manuscript for publication,
- License agreement
- In submitting an article to Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JLMC are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, I/we will notify JLMC at the time of submission, and in such cases the article shall be released under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1 and 2 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail regardless of whether the article is published under Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 or the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in JLMC, data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.
Please visit Creative Commons web page for details of the terms.