COVID-19: Intranasal and Oral Routes of Vaccination
The mainstay protocol exercised by global health leaders to control the spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome corona virus (SARS-CoV-2) has been screening, the identification of cases, isolation thereof, contact tracing and nation-wide lockdowns. The development of vaccinations against the SARS-CoV-2 virus has marked a new dawn for the war against corona virus disease (COVID-19).
Banerjee I, Robinson J, Kashyap A, Mohabeer P, Shukla A, Leclézio A. The changing pattern of COVID-19 in Nepal: A Global concern-A Narrative Review. Nepal J Epidemiol. 2020;10(2):845-55. PMCID: PMC7423402 PMID: 32874698 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3126/nje.v10i2.29769
Fauci AS, Lane HC, Redfield RR. Covid-19 - Navigating the Uncharted. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(13):1268-9. PMID: 32109011 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMe2002387
Peiris M, Leung GM. What can we expect from first-generation COVID-19 vaccines? Lancet. 2020;396(10261):1467-9. PMID: 32971042 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31976-0
Ku MW, Bourgine M, Authié P, Lopez J, Nemirov K, Moncoq F, et al. Intranasal vaccination with a lentiviral vector protects against SARS-CoV-2 in preclinical animal models. Cell Host Microbe. 2021;29(2):236-249.e6. PMID: 33357418 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chom.2020.12.010
Wang J, Peng Y, Xu H, Cui Z, Williams RO 3rd. The COVID-19 Vaccine Race: Challenges and Opportunities in Vaccine Formulation. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech. 2020;21(6):225. PMID: 32761294 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-020-01744-7
Pharmaceutical Technology. Oramed forms joint venture to develop new oral vaccines for Covid-19. Available from: https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/oramed-joint-venture-oral-vaccines/ (Accessed 7 April 2021).
Bharat Biotech. BBV154. Available from: https://www.bharatbiotech.com/intranasal-vaccine.html (Accessed 7 April 2021).
Financial Times. Trial set to start of AstraZeneca Covid vaccine as nasal spray. Available from: https://www.ft.com/content/48fe2e97-f9e5-4291-b965-0728bfc42213 (Accessed 7 April 2021).
Joi P. COVID-19 vaccines: could a squirt up the nose be just as good as a shot in the arm? Available from: https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/covid-19-vaccines-could-squirt-nose-be-just-good-shot-arm (Accessed 7 April 2021).
Collins FM. Factoring patient compliance into oral care. RDH. 2008;28(4):15-26. Available from: https://www.rdhmag.com/magazine/542082
Weir E, Hatch K. Preventing cold chain failure: vaccine storage and handling. CMAJ. 2004;171(9):1050. PMID: 15505266 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.1041565
Sookaromdee P, Wiwanitkit V. New COVID-19 Vaccines, Its Cost and Shelf Life: A Cost Effectiveness Analysis. Arch Med Res. 2020;S0188-4409(20):32249-9. PMID: 33485639 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arcmed.2020.12.008
Copyright (c) 2021 Jared Robinson, Alexandra Leclézio, Indrajit Banerjee
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- The Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) publishes open access articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- JLMC requires an exclusive licence to publish the article first in its journal in print and online.
- The corresponding author should read and agree to the following statement before submission of the manuscript for publication,
- License agreement
- In submitting an article to Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JLMC are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, I/we will notify JLMC at the time of submission, and in such cases the article shall be released under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1 and 2 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail regardless of whether the article is published under Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 or the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in JLMC, data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.
Please visit Creative Commons web page for details of the terms.