Comparison of External Fixation and Supplementary Kirschner-Wires Fixation With Volar Locking Plate for the Treatment of Intra- Articular Distal End Radius Fractures
Introduction: There are controversies regarding the benefit of open reduction and internal fixation with volar locking plates over closed reduction and external fixation along with supplementary Kirschner wires fixation for intra-articular distal end radius fracture. Therefore, this study aimed to compare the outcomes between external fixation along with supplementary Kirschner wires with volar locking plate in the treatment of intra-articular distal end radius fractures. Methods: This prospective, observational and analytical study was conducted over one and a half years. Forty-seven adults with displaced intra-articular distal end radius fracture were included in the study. Twenty-one cases were treated with closed reduction and external fixation along with supplementary Kirschner wires, whereas 26 patients were treated with open reduction and volar locking plate fixation. Results: At the end of three months, as per the Green and O’Brien scoring, the mean functional outcome score in the volar plate group was significantly better 80.77(±11.46) than the external fixation group 70.24(±10.66) (p=0.002). However, at the end of six months, the mean score in the volar plate group 86.15(±7.39) was not significantly different from the external fixation group 81.43(±9.63) (p= 0.63). Fracture reduction was achieved and maintained better in the volar locking plate group. Conclusion: Functional outcome of closed reduction and external fixation along with supplementary Kirschner wires is comparable with open reduction and internal fixation by volar locking plate in treatment of displaced intra-articular distal radius fractures. Radiological correction is achieved and maintained better with volar locking plates.
Koval K, Haidukewych GJ, Service B, Zirgibel BJ. Controversies in the management of distal radius fractures. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014;22(9):566-75. PMID: 25157038. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5435/jaaos-22-09-566
Schneppendahl J, Windolf J, Kaufmann RA. Distal Radius Fractures: Current Concepts. J Hand Surg. 2012;37(8):1718-25. PMID: 22763062. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2012.06.001
Shin EK, Jupiter JB. Current Concepts in the Management of Distal Radius Fractures. 2007;74(4):233-46. PMID: 17877939
Handoll HHG, Madhok R. Surgical interventions for treating distal radial fractures in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(3):CD003209. PMID: 12917953. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd003209
Pradhan RL, Sharma S, Pandey BK, Manandhar RR, Prasai T, Lakhey S, et al. Comparison of volar locking plate and external fixation with K wire augmentation in unstable distal radius fractures. Nepal Medical College Journal. 2015;17(1– 2):67-72. Available from: https://www.nmcth.edu/images/gallery/Vol.%2017%20No.%201-2%20March/June%202015/pradhan_rl.pdf
Shukla R, Jain RK, Sharma NK, Kumar R. External fixation versus volar locking plate for displaced intra-articular distal radius fractures: a prospective randomized comparative study of the functional outcomes. J Orthop Traumatol. 2014;15(4):265-70. PMID: 25193416. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10195-014-0317-8
Kwok IHY, Leung F, Yuen G. Assessing Results After Distal Radius Fracture Treatment: A comparison of Objective and Subjective Tools. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2011;2(4):155- 60. PMID: 23569685. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/2151458511422701
Batra S, Gupta A. The effect of fracture-related factors on the functional outcome at 1 year in distal radius fractures. Injury. 2002;33(6):499- 502. PMID: 12098546. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0020-1383(01)00174-7
Dario P, Matteo G, Carolina C, Marco G, Cristina D, Daniele F, et al. Is it really necessary to restore radial anatomic parameters after distal radius fractures? Injury. 2014;45(Suppl 6):S21-6. PMID: 25457314. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2014.10.018
Slutsky DJ. External fixation of distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg. 2007;32(10):1624- 37. PMID: 18070654. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2007.09.009
Paksima N, Panchal A, Posner MA, Green SM, Mehiman CT, Hiebert R. A meta-analysis of the literature on distal radius fractures: review of 615 articles. Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 2004;62(1-2):40-6. PMID: 15517856.
Wilcke MKT, Hammarberg H, Adolphson PY. Epidemiology and changed surgical treatment methods for fractures of the distal radius: a registry analysis of 42,583 patients in Stockholm County, Sweden, 2004–2010. Acta Orthop. 2013;84(3):292-6. PMID: 23594225. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3109/17453674.2013.792035
Downing ND, Karantana A. A revolution in the management of fractures of the distal radius? J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008;90-B(10):1271- 5. PMID: 18827233. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620x.90b10.21293
Jagdev SS, Kedia R, Pathak SK, Salunke A. Comparison of outcome of extra articular lower end radius fracture with percutaneous pinning and volar locking plate. International Journal of Research in Orthopaedics. 2017;3(4):651-5. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.18203/issn.2455-4510.IntJResOrthop20172503
Sharma A, Pathak S, Sandhu H, Bagtharia P, Kumar N, Bajwa RS, et al. Prospective Randomized Study Comparing the External Fixator and Volar Locking Plate in Intraarticular Distal Radius Fractures: Which Is Better? Cureus. 2020;12(2):e6849. PMID: 32181084. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.6849
Xu GG, Chan SP, Puhaindran ME, Chew WY. Prospective Randomised Study of Intra-Articular Fractures of the Distal Radius: Comparison Between External Fixation and Plate Fixation. 2009;38(7):600-6. PMID: 19652851
Jeudy J, Steiger V, Boyer P, Cronier P, Bizot P, Massin P. Treatment of complex fractures of the distal radius: A prospective randomised comparison of external fixation ‘versus’ locked volar plating. Injury. 2012;43(2):174-9. PMID: 21704995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2011.05.021
Wang J, Lu Y, Cui Y, Wei X, Sun J. Is volar locking plate superior to external fixation for distal radius fractures? A comprehensive meta-analysis. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2018;52(5):334-42. PMID: 30497657. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aott.2018.06.001
Fu Q, Zhu L, Yang P, Chen A. Volar Locking Plate versus External Fixation for Distal Radius Fractures: A Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Indian J Orthop. 2018;52(6):602-10. PMID: 30532300. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4081/or.2019.7809
Gouk C, Ng SK, Knight M, Bindra R, Thomas M. Long term outcomes of open reduction internal fixation versus external fixation of distal radius fractures: A meta-analysis. Orthop Rev (Pavia). 2019;11(3):7809. PMID: 31579208. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4081/or.2019.7809
Kasapinova K, Kamiloski V. Outcome evaluation in patients with distal radius fracture. Prilozi. 2011;32(2):231-46. PMID: 22286627
Copyright (c) 2020 Rajeev Dwivedi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- The Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) publishes open access articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- JLMC requires an exclusive licence to publish the article first in its journal in print and online.
- The corresponding author should read and agree to the following statement before submission of the manuscript for publication,
- License agreement
- In submitting an article to Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JLMC are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, I/we will notify JLMC at the time of submission, and in such cases the article shall be released under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1 and 2 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail regardless of whether the article is published under Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 or the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in JLMC, data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.
Please visit Creative Commons web page for details of the terms.