Online Medical Education in Nepal: Barking a Wrong Tree
To combat the global pandemic of Covid-19, the Government of Nepal declared a country wide lockdown on 24 March, 2020. The lockdown affected all the institutions, medical schools being no exception.
To keep in pace with the academic calendar, most of the universities instructed their affiliated medical schools to start online classes for medical undergraduates. Kathmandu University which affiliates ten medical schools under its umbrella circulated a notice to start online classes. To facilitate this, the most important requisite is internet connection. A working device in the form of a laptop, desktop, or smartphone is needed to log in through the internet. After the lockdown, when all the medical schools closed, the students went home. We should not forget the fact that many students are from rural locality with no access to the internet at their home. The mobile internet data is costly and more data is consumed during video conferencing in online classes. The geographical remoteness further hinders the network coverage across the country.
Cook DA, Levinson AJ, Garside S, Dupras DM, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Internet-based learning in the health professions: a meta-analysis. JAMA. 2008;300(10):1181-96. PMID: 18780847 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.300.10.1181
Atreya A, Nepal B. COVID-19 pandemic and Nepal. Medico-Legal J. 2020; [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 32427512 DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0025817220923690
Copyright (c) 2020 Binu Nepal, Alok Atreya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- The Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) publishes open access articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- JLMC requires an exclusive licence to publish the article first in its journal in print and online.
- The corresponding author should read and agree to the following statement before submission of the manuscript for publication,
- License agreement
- In submitting an article to Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JLMC are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, I/we will notify JLMC at the time of submission, and in such cases the article shall be released under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1 and 2 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail regardless of whether the article is published under Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 or the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in JLMC, data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.
Please visit Creative Commons web page for details of the terms.