‘Publish or Perish’ Trend: Fueling the Predatory Journals
In the past, journals were published only in the print, and the only way to access them was through the library. However, today we can easily access journals and articles with a click. There are more online journals which have made it possible and feasible for authors to submit their work.
As an editor of a journal, I am often approached by younger aspiring authors for accelerated publication of their manuscripts. The journal is biannual and undergoes double-blind peer review process which in itself is time consuming. The authors also fear the reviewer’s comment about major corrections or even rejection of their article. The criteria of mandatory publication for academic promotion has compelled medical professionals to write and publish research articles. To get their articles published quick and easy, they sometimes fall prey to predatory journals. The ‘Publish or Perish’ trend should be discouraged and young researchers should be mentored and encouraged to publish in good impact journals.
Kanchan T. Selecting a journal for one’s scholarly work – What is in the name? J Indian Acad Forensic Med. 2019;41(2):85. doi: 10.5958/0974-0848.2019.00023.X
Copyright (c) 2020 Alok Atreya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- The Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) publishes open access articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- JLMC requires an exclusive licence to publish the article first in its journal in print and online.
- The corresponding author should read and agree to the following statement before submission of the manuscript for publication,
- License agreement
- In submitting an article to Journal of Lumbini Medical College (JLMC) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JLMC are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, I/we will notify JLMC at the time of submission, and in such cases the article shall be released under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1 and 2 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail regardless of whether the article is published under Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 or the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in JLMC, data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.
Please visit Creative Commons web page for details of the terms.